An interview with Ericka Kreutz


Kateri Hartman
There's more to Kate than just photography.

Once upon a time she was a professional stage manager, and met all of these cool people in the industry. As an intern for Kate, I've had the opportunity to interview people such as the makeup artist for Orange Is The New Black, an actor on Gotham, and an actress on Good Luck Charlie. Below is my first interviewee, Ericka Kreutz!

1) where did you grow up? What is your favorite memory from there?

I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It's winter for at least half the year there (or so it seems) and I remember how the city would find a way to not only embrace the arctic weather- but to celebrate it. There were ice sculpture competitions, ice rinks, twinkly lights everywhere, free hot cocoa... I remember suiting up (a la Christmas Story) and playing in the snow for hours on end. The drifts would be up to nine feet high in our backyard and my siblings and I made igloos and snow caves and slides.

2) what did you want to be as a kid, and are you doing that now?

Ericka Kreutz (photo credit: Theo & Juliet)
I wanted to be someone else that's for sure and I think that is why I am still playing pretend. I wanted all jobs- from grocery store clerk to high powered lawyer. I would browse Goodwill as a kid and look at old clothes and try to imagine who wore it. I found myself more comfortable in other peoples shoes and I'm still doing that today.

3) where did you go to college, and what was your major?

I went to the Conservatory of Theatre at Webster University in St. Louis. It was a terrific training program connected to the St. Louis Rep where I got to be a fly on the wall and watch how professional actors behaved themselves not only on stage but in the green room. I learned that some actors need music and alone time back stage and some needed to play poker so they would stay out of their heads. I learned that the nicest actors got called back often and the divas were there for just one show.

4) what was your favorite role to play in?

Gosh. Hmm. I'll have to say Catherine in Proof. She was intense. And profound. And just a force. I was lucky to have played her four times. She made me rise up.

5) what is your biggest accomplishment so far?

Having my kids. Being a mommy.

6) what are your career goals?

I would love to play a mom on a television show for children. Something that inspires kids and builds self esteem. I feel I can be of service in my art by helping children learn about themselves and be confident in who they are.

7) how did you get started in acting, and land the roles you have?

I started as a kid. I was a shy one and hated any sort of public speaking but I longed to be part of a group. I wasn't sporty so drama was introduced to me. I liked the escape aspect and working together. 

I am a slow and steady wins the race kind of a gal. Roles have come to me when I hit a certain age or type or understanding. I don't have big dramatic luck stories or being in the right place at the right time tales. I just had a few key people believe in me who thought I was interesting. I worked hard. I stressed. I cried. I tried to always be kind. And sometimes I won out.

8) what advice would you give to someone aspiring to be in the entertainment industry?

Gosh. Everyone tells you not to do it- turn your back- find something else- it's too tough out there. But when it's in your blood it's in your blood and you have no choice. I do know that when I have been rooted in nature, in my friendships, in my life, I have weathered the ups and downs more. Make sure you build your life and not just your career. Your career doesn't hug you or pick you up for the airport or run you to the ER. Have rocks. Have good people around you.


9) what was your favorite/least favorite part about working on good luck Charlie?


My least favorite part was that we didn't get renewed another season! It was a dream job. A DREAM. JOB.
I loved the people. From costumes to writers to everyone on set...it was a lovely family to be a neighbor on. I loved playing Debbie Dooley and I loved making kids laugh.

10) what is the best piece of advice you have received?
    A good one is just to be yourself. Easier said than done but I worked very hard in college   getting rid of my ticks and accent and odd things about me to be "neutral". Little did I know that being odd and different is what was going to set me apart and make me special.Bridget Mendler on Good Luck Charlie also said to me before my first show "it's a party- just have fun at the party". Which I did.

11) who is your favourite musical artist? 
I like PINK and Ingrid Michelson. The opening tune to Curious George is pretty catchy too.

12) what is your dream role? 
Probably something positive and sweet and funny and maybe a little ditzy. I like to keep things upbeat and colorful. I'd love to play someone who is aspirational.

13) what was your family like growing up? 
Amazing. My family is amazing. My parents are teachers and they said YES to everything. I played violin and piano and harp by the 5th grade. I was signed up in drama classes. There are four kids in our family and they let us lead the way and drove us everywhere in Milwaukee to get us to practices and tournaments and festivals and concerts. I grew up so FULL of the arts and support from my folks.


14) what would you do if you weren't an actor?
 
I'd be a teacher. Probably a goofy drama teacher that has you breathe from your pelvis...

15) what do you like to do with your free time? 
I have two little boys so I like to rest as much as I can if there is any downtime! I like to hike and go to yoga. I love going to the movies but that doesn't happen much any more.

You can see Ericka for one more weekend at the Circle X Theatre Company in LA!



 Thank you to Ericka for participating in my first interview!  Check back next week for another fun read!



Comments

Popular Posts