An interview with a broadway stage manager!

An interview with Amber White by Kateri Hartman.

There is more to Kate than photography. Once upon a time she was a professional stage manager, and met all of these cool people in the industry. As an intern for Kate, I've had the opportunity to interview people such as the makeup artist for Orange Is The New Black, an actor on Gotham, and an actress on Good Luck Charlie. Below is my interview with stage manager Amber White!


Where were you born/where did you grow up?
I was born in Northern California and grew up in Southern California
What was your favorite childhood memory?
My favorite childhood memory overall would be the camping trips I took with my family
Do you still talk to childhood friends?
I’m Facebook friends with some of them, but I don’t talk to them often.  I don’t think I talk to many friends prior to college.  
Where did you go to college?
Went to college at Loyola Marymount, started as finance major, and then switched to a theater major.  
How did you become a stage manager?
I worked at a theater in college for work study and then was asked to stage manage a show.  I wasn’t exactly sure what that meant but I kept getting work as a stage manager after that. It was those jobs with no pay and then that led into other opportunities.  I changed majors to theater and took every opportunity I got.  Every opportunity got bigger and better and then got I got my equity card and joined the union.  
What has been your favorite show so far?
My favorite show was In the Heights; I was on that for three years on and off Broadway.
What is the biggest accomplishment of your career so far?
For me it’s the sustainability of my career.  I’ve been on Broadway for ten years and it’s been amazing to be able to sustain this job and be making money.  I also have a six month old; I would say that is one of my biggest blessing and accomplishments.  
Can you tell us what it’s like working on Broadway; it is hard to get jobs?
Yes; It’s all about networking and continuing to do good work.  It’s about being good at what you do while being an enjoyable person.  I started off with taking multiple opportunities every chance I got, and then as I gained more experience I could choose the right opportunities for myself.
Finally, how did you meet Kate?

Kate and I met doing a little show off-broadway.  She was new to New York. I was the stage manager, she was the light and sound board operator and we were in the same booth.  We became good friends and had a lot of laughs throughout the show!

Amber is currently part of the stage management team on the broadway hit; Hamilton. 
Amber with her husband, Jake and daughter Olive.



Comments

Popular Posts